January 24, 2009

Chapter 4: Bravo

Tonight I'm talking about perhaps the only Russian band that still occupies its rightful place among my most favourite music bands ever - Bravo. It's not my priority to tell it's complete story now. Instead, I'm briefly focusing on what makes it special for me and offering a couple of songs from Bravo's most successful years (strictly IMO).

Bravo - as an adventurous rock-n-roll ensemble - was founded the year I was born, in 1983, in Moscow by guitarist Evgeny Havtan. Originally the lead singer was Zhanna Aguzarova (who still is one of the most talented and well-known underground singers in Russian pop-culture-history). In the next years the lead singers shifted several times but it was Valery Syutkin taking the lead from 1990 to 1994 who is preemptively considered most memorable of them all. And not only for his faultless, exceptional voice. The 3 albums that were recorded in those years- Fops from Moscow, Moscow Beat & Road to the Clouds - gave birth to more hits than all other albums put together. The band became seriously popular around the whole country which needed that kind of a brave and optimistic music wave in those years of economic, political and moral stagnation. It was the golden period for Bravo, never did they sound so energetic, fresh, lyrical and romantic as then. Their lyrics were poetic and witty, their music - skillful and overwhelming, Syutkin's voice - magical. They were very genre-oriented and whatever they played - blues, jazz or rock-n-roll - it was genuine and honest from start to end.

What made Bravo special to me? Bravo during 'Syutkin years' shaped my "ear". They revealed to me the very idea of good music and turned me to the direction of a blessful dichotomy - song and inspiration combined. Heart-breakingly soothing, quick and sprightly, lyrical or dynamic - each and every song had its own heart and many of them offered me an inner refuge I needed then.

So, here are some lovely samples of Bravo's sincerity and simplicity.

Bravo - V Shest Chasov (Russian: "В шесть часов" ) - a very upbeat example of rock-n-roll. The title means "At 6 pm". The song is about a date that a guy and his girlfriend set on 6 pm in the centre of Moscow and now he's all anticipation and excitement.
Bravo - Kak Zhal (Russian: "Как жаль") - oh, this one is nothing but pure blues: lyrical, dreamy, romantic and nostalgic. The title means "Such a pity" or "It's too bad". It's about memories of love and happiness that now are gone from reality but will forever reside in one's soul. If you really want to hear clear, distinguished, beautiful Russian language - I couldn't suggest a better example. Every single person I know adores this song.

Click the photo to get to Bravo's official site (Russian)

I hope it's worth it. See ya next time. And next time it's gonna be... KVN.

No comments: