January 18, 2009

Chapter 2: Oryol back in 1900s

Today is my much adored household chores day so after all the labour pleasures I'm a bit exhausted and sleepy. As I'm not having a lot of listeners here anyway I'd not be talking much and better put some promised old images of my hometown. They're actually scanned postcards from around 1900. One or two belong to us, my mom showed them to me long time ago, there were letters on the back side of the cards written to his family by one soldier who fought in World War I. A rarity, you know.
Oh, I'm being boring. Take a look:



The "Arrow" place (you see two rivers, Oka and Orlik, join).

View of Oryol. Nowadays there is a hotel my dad works in,
instead of that building on the left closer to centre.

The view of the so-called "row of stalls" building.
It's still there.

The Town Council (on the right). On the left is what today a very good theatre.

And the Town Council again, only this time the picture is the one that my mom showed me. You can see the name [of the man who sent it or maybe the photographer] in upper right corner - Josif Lvovich Mikhovsky.

Row of Stalls on Gostinnaya Street.

Moskovskaya Street.

All right, the sleepy me calls the bloggy one to bed. Next time I'll chat with myself about one of the Russian Cinema masterpieces. Good night.

No comments: